Press Director and Print Shop Artisan Position
Bread and Puppet Theater, the world-renowned, 55-year-old politically radical puppetry company, is seeking a B&P Press Director & Print Shop Artisan. The ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of experience in a related field and a passion for visual/printing arts.
We are seeking an individual who will not only sustain the current press operations but find innovative ways to increase its productivity and contribution towards sustaining the Bread and Puppet mission and operations in general.
The Press Director and Artisan is a full time position who will work to realize the graphic legacy and vision of Peter Schumann and the Bread and Puppet Press and Theater. The position is responsible for the management of press production, press facilities, inventory, part-time staff and volunteers, and the press archive. The position also coordinates with all sales platforms including performances, tours, and the online store. The position is responsible for the Press finances with the support of the bookkeeper and finance committee.
- Oversee & perform production work including printing relief cuts, Vandercook SP20 letterpress printing/typesetting, and hand painting posters & banners.
- Organize and instruct Paid Print Shop staff, volunteers and resident puppeteers who assist with printing.
- Design and plan new printing projects and products, collaborating with Peter Schumann and Online Store Manager as necessary.
- Manage all Offset Printing production including inventorying and ordering reprints, researching and choosing commercial printing services, and communicating with commercial printers, designing new offset products
- Collaborate with Museum director/caretaker(s) to provide inventory for restocking; Oversee Van Store Inventory
- Work with the Finance Committee and Business Assistant to create a yearly Press budget as well as collect, report and deposit all cash and check sales.
- Printing Experience in relief printing and letterpress
- Strong visual arts or graphic design background
- Production print shop experience or piecework experience with an understanding of quality control
- Strong teaching skills, experience working with and overseeing volunteers
- Mid to high level of comfort with scanning, manipulating images, and electronic communications, word processing and spreadsheet creation
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Starting salary offered is $38,000/year
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to BreadandPuppetJobs@gmail.com with the subject line: Press Director and Artisan Position and your last name. No phone calls please.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. We encourage interested applicants to apply early.
Application Deadline: April 1st, 2021